On the protection of the body: means for anti-corrosion treatment of cars
Corrosion is the process of destruction of the metal surface as a result of interaction with the environment. To save the surface of the car from rust, there are special anti-corrosion agents with which the car is coated. And although they cannot completely prevent the process of corrosion, they are able to stop its harmful effects. Therefore, any car should definitely be coated against rust. You can process the metal of a car, both in a specialized salon, and with your own hands.
Causes of rust
Experts have proven that all cars are subject to the negative effects of corrosion, regardless of the manufacturer. The situation is aggravated by the operating conditions of the car, minor defects or scratches on the surface, as well as de-icing reagents and other chemical compounds.
There are several reasons on which the rate of corrosion reaction depends:
- improper care or operation of the vehicle;
- technological errors that were made in the process of designing a car or its complex design;
- a thin layer of factory coating applied to the surface, especially in hard-to-reach places such as the bottom.
Many motorists are in no hurry to apply an anti-corrosion coating, explaining this as a waste of money. But even on a new car, without appropriate treatment after 3 years of operation, there may be a problem with the integrity of the paintwork. And then paint and varnish will not be able to protect the metal layer and pockets of rust will appear on the car.
It is better to spend money on the purchase of an anti-corrosion coating and do all the work yourself than to later carry out car body repairs, trying to patch the holes that have formed.
A conniving attitude towards the state of the car body often leads to the need for welding to restore it.
The main types of anti-corrosion agents
Anti-corrosion coating is a composition that is applied to the surface of the car and prevents rust. There are two main groups of tools with which you can process the surface of the metal:
- bituminous anticorrosive - metal additives can be added to it;
- wax-based products, which can contain corrosion inhibitors and metal strength enhancers.
Also, in addition to the anti-corrosion component, materials are added to all compositions aimed at pushing out moisture.
The anti-corrosion agent is selected depending on the type of rust, which can be chemical (impact on the body of oxygen or its compounds) and electrochemical (contact with electrolytes). Before applying an anti-corrosion coating with your own hands, you must select the appropriate preparation. All products available on the modern market are divided depending on the composition, place and method of application.
For the external surfaces of the body or other easily accessible parts of the car, the following funds are allocated:
- liquid transparent plastic - does not differ in mechanical resistance, therefore it is not recommended to use it as the main means of protecting the body;
- bituminous mastic - made on the basis of synthetic and bituminous resins with refinement (from technical oils), aimed at protecting the surface and preserving the metal;
- based on rubber or PVC (the rubber component acts as an active substance) - rubber anticorrosive is considered the most durable of all the products presented, it is similar in composition to rubber, and often a transparent rubber layer is applied at factories.
For internal surfaces or hidden parts, use:
- non-drying products made with working off - this colorless liquid anticorrosive agent does not dry out after its application, as well as during the operation of the car, and working out products fill the smallest cracks or scratches;
- paraffin-based - after drying, they form an elastic film on the surface, which retains its properties even with sudden changes in temperature.
Requirements for a good anticorrosive
Many car owners, especially those who have encountered the problem of rust for the first time, cannot decide which anticorrosive agent is better. There are certain requirements that apply to all means aimed at protecting against corrosion. And the more the composition corresponds to them, the better its action will be. Therefore, before purchasing anticorrosive, you should familiarize yourself with the existing requirements.
Means intended for processing hidden parts of the car must:
- have a homogeneous structure;
- paint and colorless varnish after such processing should retain their original appearance;
- have high adhesive properties;
- do not have a strong odor;
- impregnate all existing cracks or damage, even in places subject to corrosion;
- have the ability to displace accumulated moisture;
- form a mechanically resistant and elastic film on the metal surface.
- able to protect the surface from the action of electrolytes;
- be resistant to particles rising from the road surface (gravel, sand or small stones) so that the paint and varnish are not damaged while driving on the road.
The materials used in the anti-corrosion coating are excellent protection for the body, making it less susceptible to external influences. The paint and varnish applied to the surface after such treatment will be protected from corrosion for several years. To choose the best anticorrosive, it is important to consider the listed requirements. And not always the means that correspond to them are expensive products.
How to do the processing yourself?
To save a decent amount, you can apply an anti-corrosion coating with your own hands. Such a layer will help prevent rust, and paint and varnish will retain their appearance for 1 to 3 years.
Before you apply an anti-corrosion coating on a car with your own hands, you must perform preparatory work:
- cracked paint or varnish, as well as pockets of rust, are removed;
- the car must be thoroughly washed with warm water, including in hard-to-reach places;
- all residual water must be removed;
- thresholds are washed and thoroughly dried;
- it is better to remove the brushes from the wipers - processing these elements from low-quality rubber will corrode them;
- seats, pedals and steering wheel in the cabin should be covered with a cloth so that they do not get dirty during work.
It is worth adding that paint, in comparison with rubber, is able to withstand any anti-corrosion treatments.
After completing all the preparatory operations, you can begin to perform anti-corrosion treatment with your own hands. Before processing with your own hands, you should carefully study the instructions in order to observe the temperature conditions and take into account the application features.
It is convenient to treat the body with an anticorrosive compound with a special gun, which is sold as a set with an anticorrosive agent or separately. Particular attention must be paid to the underbody, since this is the most extensive and most rust-prone part of the body.
Materials are introduced into hard-to-reach places through existing factory holes. When applying anticorrosive to the surface of the car, you should be careful not to stain the interior or damage the contacts. It is better to remove the stains of such a product, which appeared during the processing with your own hands, with a dry cloth.
In order for the paint on the surface to retain its color for a long time, and corrosion does not appear on the body, anti-corrosion treatment of the body should be carried out regularly.