The easiest way to paint a car without using a compressor
For each driver, sooner or later, the issue of painting the entire body or individual parts of the car becomes relevant. The ideal tool for carrying out such work is a spray gun and a compressor. But there are alternative ways - the use of an aerosol can or even a vinyl film. Therefore, it is important to know the characteristics of the devices used and the subtleties when working with them. This will help to update the appearance of the machine without the use of a compressor.
Preparation of tools and workplace
Before starting repair work, it is necessary to prepare a mandatory set of tools. These include:
- rubber spatulas;
- sandpaper of different grain sizes;
- solvent for degreasing;
- spray paint or vinyl film.
In addition to preparing the tools with which you can paint the car, you should decide on the workplace. It is necessary that the room where the car will be painted has good lighting with fluorescent lamps and a properly working extractor hood. Painting materials, when dried, release toxic substances, and a good ventilation system will help maintain your own health.
Another prerequisite is the cleanliness of the premises. Before repair work, the ceiling and walls must be blown with compressed air using a compressor or vacuum cleaner, as well as wet cleaning.
Stages of preparatory work
To paint a car, regardless of whether the paint will be sprayed with a compressor or in other ways, it is necessary to perform several preparatory operations in stages.
- Cleaning and degreasing - the car is washed with special products and warm water. Then the surface is treated with a degreaser.
- Putty - first, the areas that need to be painted are cleaned with sandpaper and cleaned of dust with a solvent. Immediately before application, it is necessary to mix the components according to the instructions and prepare the putty. The mixture is applied with a rubber spatula to the defective areas and left to dry. After 30 minutes, you need to walk over the puttied area with fine sandpaper to obtain a smooth surface and leave for a day to dry.
- Priming - since there is no compressor that will spray the primer, it is necessary to choose a two-component primer in an aerosol can. Apply the composition vertically, with uniform movements, from the edge of the part. After the surface has dried, it should be degreased again.
The area that needs restoration work has been prepared, and you can proceed directly to staining. It is important that the final result will depend on the quality of the preparatory work carried out. If the surface is poorly cleaned or primed, the applied paint will soon begin to peel off.
In the case of an incorrectly selected putty, the painted areas will quickly fade, and will differ from the rest of the color of the car. Therefore, in order to get a smooth and even surface after painting, you need to thoroughly clean, putty and prime the areas of the machine.
Painting a car with an aerosol can
If the car will be painted without a compressor, then you need to carefully select the color pigment of the paint in the can. This takes into account the degree of fading of the paintwork so that the painted areas do not differ from the base color of the car. Shake the can thoroughly before starting staining.
First, the first layer is applied - developing: it helps to identify defects that were not noticed during the preparatory work. If they are found, it is necessary to additionally grind and putty the areas.
You can paint a car without a compressor, given several subtleties of work:
- the can must be held perpendicular to the surface;
- the temperature in the room should be about 20 degrees;
- the distance between the area to be painted and the spray can should be 30 cm;
- the drying time of each layer should be at least 20 minutes;
- the first layer must be applied with horizontal movements, and the next - with vertical ones;
- the border of each subsequent layer should be slightly larger than the previous one;
- the number of layers is selected individually for a particular type of damage.
The final stage of painting is the application of a special varnish. In the absence of a compressor, this tool should also be purchased in the form of an aerosol can. The time for complete drying of the varnish is 7 hours.
Color change with vinyl film
It is possible to carry out painting work without a compressor using vinyl film. Here there are some peculiarities and subtleties of the work. Before applying the material, the car should be thoroughly cleaned and degreased. Next comes the try-on stage, when the film with the substrate is applied to the area where it is planned to be glued and adjusted in size.
The car body is wetted with water, which can be sprayed with a spray bottle. The film is separated from the substrate and carefully applied to the body.
Important: when gluing the film, make sure that bubbles do not form.
When the entire surface is pasted over, you need to warm the surface with a building hair dryer. After 20 minutes, when the surface has cooled, it should be passed over with a squeegee. This will help to get an even coloring without bubbles and other defects.