Do-it-yourself coating and polishing of a car with liquid glass
Liquid glass for a car
Any car owner wants it to always look perfect. Scratches and chips hurt the eye, and painting and polishing a car is expensive, and you can’t polish the car often, because with each polishing, the paintwork layer is reduced.
Liquid glass eliminates minor defects on the paintwork of your car, removes cracks and scratches, and also protects your car from new damage, rust. Also, liquid glass creates a magnificent mirror reflection effect on the car body.
- Gives the vehicle a rich, new-car mirror finish
- Protects the car from external influences, ultraviolet radiation
- Has water-repellent and dirt-repellent properties
- Creates an antistatic effect (does not allow static electricity to accumulate on the car body)
- Protects car body from corrosion
- Have a democratic price
- Ensures the durability of the coating, up to 6 - 12 months
Polishes and protective compositions "liquid glass" appeared in Russia in 2008 and immediately gained great popularity, due to the creation of a wonderful and irresistible effect, inexpensive cost of materials and a simple method of application.
The name "liquid glass", which has become a common noun in Russia, is erroneous, in fact, the polishes and protective compounds that we sell under this name are not liquid glass. In Japan, these compounds are often called Glass Coat, which can be translated as a glass coating.
Liquid glass will help give your car the effect of a new car, sparkling, without a single scratch, a deep shade. We are sure that all motorists want to see their car years later in exactly the same condition. Liquid glass is the tool that can return your car to a saloon appearance.
In addition to the body, liquid glass is used for headlights, glasses, disks, as well as various chrome-plated car parts.
Types of liquid glass
Liquid glass in Russia is sold in several versions. The first is small containers of 100-200 ml. with liquid and a spray, which, as a rule, comes with the kit. Such a polish must be sprayed onto the surface of the car body, and then wait for it to dry.
The second option is “liquid glass” polishes in the form of pastes, usually in tubes up to 100 ml. These polishes are sold with sponge for application and towels for polishing the car.
Also note that often “liquid glass” compositions are divided into polishes for light and dark cars.
Covering the body with liquid glass with your own hands
What you need to apply:
- A large sponge with which to wash.
- Car shampoo.
- Surface degreaser.
- Microfiber fabric.
- Liquid glass.
- wash the car
- Remove Reagent
- Remove bitumen
- Remove traces of insects
- touch up chips
- Degrease the body
Body washing and degreasing
The procedure begins with cleaning the body. Wash the car with shampoo and sponge, dry well. Then use a degreaser to ensure the best adhesion. For degreasing, you can use white spirit or actually any universal degreaser, the price of which is only 100 - 200 rubles. In auto shops and supermarkets, you can find inexpensive degreasers from Runway or Hi-Gear.
Using a soft sponge, treat the entire car body with a degreaser, after which it is necessary to wash off the entire body with a degreaser under water pressure. For this, a Karcher car wash is suitable, or you can use the nearest manual car wash. You don't need to use shampoo, just good water pressure.
The next stage is coating with liquid glass, for this we mix two compositions that come with liquid glass and shake the can well to mix the compositions thoroughly.
Next, we take a special cloth from the set of liquid glass and spray the composition on it and on the car body. Then, with smooth movements, we apply the composition to the surface.
Thus, with smooth movements, we process every detail of the car.
It must take at least 45 minutes for the composition to interact with the paintwork of the car.
Liquid glass can be applied to chrome and plastic parts of the car body, as well as to all car windows, except for the windshield.
Final polishing of liquid glass
After applying liquid glass to the car body and at least 45 minutes have passed, it is necessary to finally polish the applied liquid glass with a microfiber cloth.
When you have completed the application and polishing work, leave the car for at least 6 hours to dry, during which time the car should not be driven. It may take 1-2 weeks for the composition to fully harden, during this period it is not recommended to wash the car.
A few tips:
- It is better to check when applying how liquid glass reacts with the surface. If the result does not satisfy you, then you need to re-wash the car and degrease the body again.
- It is not necessary to rush too much when rubbing, but delay is also unacceptable. Partial curing occurs within a few minutes.
- It is recommended to carry out work indoors, for example, in a garage.
Liquid glass before and after
We have collected several examples of car body treatment with liquid glass.
The composition of liquid glass
Liquid glass is also called nanoceramics. Let's see what is included in its composition.
- Titanium oxide three percent. Titanium is a chemical that protects thermoregulation. In this composition, liquid glass is protected from high temperatures and has the property of bleaching;
- Silicon dioxide is present in liquid glass by thirty percent. It forms the basis of the coating and gives hardness and strength to the product;
- Aluminum oxide contains just under two percent. It gives the material refractory properties;
- Surfactants (surfactants). They are used to "push" dirt and dust out. Used in most bleaching and cleaning products, also in liquid glass;
- Decamethylcyclopentasiloxane. Contained in fifty percent of the total product and provides resistance to oxidation. It is considered the main one in the "building" of the base solution;
Liquid glass coating cost
The cost of liquid glass itself usually does not exceed five thousand rubles per jar, depending on the brand and size. As a rule, in Russia, jars are sold in sizes up to 300 ml. facilities. For one car, an average of forty milliliters is required. So this tube is enough for you to apply several times.
The cost of the most popular set of liquid glass in Russia - willson glass guard - usually does not exceed 3,000 rubles.
The cost of coating with liquid glass in car dealerships and workshops averages 4 - 8 thousand rubles. Below we will give prices for car coverage in several workshops in Moscow.
liquid glass willson body glass guard
Liquid glass from the company Willson has established itself among motorists as one of the most high-quality and inexpensive coatings. The cost of the set is only 3000 rubles.
In addition to the mirror surface, the manufacturer claims protection against small scratches and UV, and also has a water-repellent base and protects against fading. Willson guarantees the effect of the composition for 1 year or 50 touchless washes.
Body Glass Guard is available for light and dark vehicles. These compositions are completely transparent and differ only in thermal additives, since dark shades heat up more in the sun.
The Willson Body Glass Guard kit includes a sponge for applying the composition, two polishing towels and a polyethylene glove to protect the skin of the hands.
Instructions for use Willson Glass Guard:
Polish for light cars - WS-01238 (70 ml), WS-01237 (110 ml), WS-01236 (140ml)
Dark Car Polish - WS-01241 (70 ml), WS-01240 (110 ml), WS-01239 (140 ml)
Official website of the polish manufacturer - willson-eng.com
Advantages and disadvantages
- Liquid glass perfectly protects the paintwork, copes with the tasks.
- Gives a nice mirror-like appearance to the car.
- Unlike waxing, liquid glass retains its properties for up to 1 - 2 years.
- You can apply the composition not only on the body, but also on chrome and plastic elements of the car and even glass. (except windshield)
- It is easy to process a car, it is enough to follow simple recommendations.
The disadvantages include:
- Liquid glass is a protective agent, and cannot remove the dullness and scratches of the old paintwork. To do this, it is recommended to do abrasive polishing before coating the car with liquid glass to remove haze and scratches.
Reviews on liquid glass
Please leave your comments, questions and feedback about car coating with liquid glass. Do not forget to indicate the brand of water glass you use and its cost.