Car window tinting with athermal film
Protecting the cabin from the sun and ultraviolet radiation allows you to create the most favorable atmosphere and eliminate discomfort. But in the context of the constant tightening of punishment for standard tinting, we have to look for new solutions.
An excellent option was athermal tinting. What is it and how is it regarded by the law? It is necessary to carefully understand all the nuances in order to answer these questions.
What is athermal tinting?
If you study the specification, then athermal tinting is based on a special film. It is applied to the glass, does not let heat and ultraviolet radiation into the cabin. But the driver and passengers can be seen without deteriorating visibility when driving.
The cover is almost invisible. It is possible to determine it by a light blue, greenish or beige tint of glass. There are two main series:
- ATR - has a greenish tint. It is considered neutral, does not create additional strain on the eyes and will not cause fatigue during trips.
- LA - got a bluish tint. Keep in mind that such a film can somewhat affect the degree of fatigue, so most drivers choose the first option.
Even during extreme heat, you can not worry about the temperature in the cabin. Thermal energy and ultraviolet radiation is delayed, due to which it is possible to create a comfortable atmosphere. With the help of athermal tinting, you can extend the life of the upholstery, the materials will not fade and lose their appearance over time.
Tinting is often applied using a special film that is glued to the car windows. Another technology may be used in which a special composition is sprayed onto the surface.
Athermal film Chameleon
Chameleon is one of the varieties of this film. It appeared on sale a few years ago and is gradually gaining popularity. It has the best price and excellent features.
The main difference between this option is that the layers not only do not transmit radiation inside, but also reflect part of the sun's rays. A mirror surface appears, it partially hides the passenger and drivers. Usually the shade is purple, but depending on the angle of incidence of light, the material is able to shimmer in different colors.
Chameleon has a number of advantages over conventional film. It often filters sunlight better and has received advanced performance. But there were some nuances, which we will talk about later.
Today, there are many options for athermal film, which is on the market. Main types:
- 3M Crystalline 90. Based on the application of 200 layers of protection, which differ in the minimum thickness. They perfectly filter sunlight, do not let heat and UV radiation through.
- Llumar AIR - this type of coating is almost completely transparent. It is difficult to identify on glass, but it does its job well.
- Suntek Carbon XP80 is a special film based on carbon. The structure filters about half of the infrared and ultraviolet rays. It is highly durable and will last for a long time.
- Mystique Clima Comfort - the basis for this type of tinting is a magnetron coating. It is distinguished by one of the best indicators of protection, most of the radiation does not penetrate into the cabin.
- Mystique Light is a chameleon. It has a light shade so that you can use the film and not be afraid of problems.
You can buy athermal film for your car using Yandex Market.
Is tinting with athermal film allowed? Answer of the traffic police
There are no normative documents that specifically address this type of film. There are only general parameters, regardless of the type of materials:
- For the windshield, the throughput should be 75 percent.
- For the front side - 70%.
- For the rest, the parameters are not regulated.
That is, there is no exact data regarding the admissibility of using a particular type of film. Most athermal-type tints have a slight blackout. They are likely to fit the specified parameters.
When buying a film, be sure to study the documents for it. The manufacturer specifies the light transmission parameters. The indicator must be above 75 percent, otherwise materials should not be purchased.
If the inspector has any doubts, the light transmission is measured using a special device. Its margin of error is 2 percent. Therefore, the indicators cannot be lower than 73%.
Most chameleon films are banned. Inspectors take them for mirrors that cannot be used in cars. Given that the surface reflects light, the tint test is very likely to fail, even if it does not affect the view.
The reason for the negative results is the design and principle of operation of the measuring instrument. The device emits light that is received by another element. The chameleon reflects part of the rays and the device shows lower parameters than it could.
If you use a chameleon film, then you should read all the documentation for it and find out in advance the light transmission parameters identified by the manufacturer. Only then can you make a purchase and apply.
Thermal film cost
There are no exact parameters, because prices depend on many nuances:
- Film type.
- Manufacturing technology.
- Main characteristics.
- Manufacturing quality.
Approximate prices - from 500 to 4000 rubles per linear meter. This is an approximate range of costs, it all depends on the specific materials, the parameters may vary. Please note that this is the price without application, the services of specialists will have to be paid separately.
In car dealerships, the cost of tinting is correspondingly higher, but nevertheless it is quite affordable and you will receive an additional guarantee from the installer. For example, the cost of tinting a windshield with an ordinary athermal film in Moscow car dealerships averages 3,000-4,000 rubles, and the cost of tinting with a Chameleon film is 8,000-10,000 rubles.
What you definitely shouldn't do:
- If you do not have application experience, you are not confident in your abilities, then it is better not to glue the material yourself. It is very likely to spoil it, and athermal film is an expensive option.
- Do not buy cheap materials from unknown manufacturers. They don't have the best performance and won't last you long.
How to apply
Be warned: application is not the easiest process, especially for people who are inexperienced. It is important to stick the film evenly and exclude the appearance of bubbles in the structure, they spoil the appearance. There is a high probability of damaging the material, and a high-quality coating is not so cheap.
Please watch the following detailed video tutorial - to how to tint a windshield with athermal tinted chameleon:
If you are not confident in your abilities, then it is better to turn to professionals. They will be able to quickly complete the pasting. But how to carry out the application yourself?
- Initially try on the material, make notes.
- Do not forget to leave allowances up to 10 centimeters.
- Carefully cut out the film.
- Wipe the surface well, clean it from dirt and dust. For best adhesion, degreasing can be carried out.
- Carefully remove the protective layer from the film.
- A soapy solution is applied to the glass to facilitate application.
- Stick on the film and smooth it well.
- You can use a plastic spatula or a hair dryer to level the product on the surface.
Although the procedure seems simple, if you are not experienced, then there is a possibility of making mistakes. The decision to self-apply or turn to professionals is up to you.
Advantages and disadvantages
What are the benefits:
- Reduces the likelihood of injury during an accident due to the formation of glass fragments. The tape holds them.
- The interior does not heat up under the sun's rays. The structure filters infrared and ultraviolet radiation.
- The strength of the glass is slightly increased.
- Interior upholstery materials will last longer, they will not fade under the sun.
- The film does not affect the transmission of radio signals.
- You can reduce the use of the air conditioner.
- It is possible to save energy and reduce the load on the battery in summer.
- Visibility on the road does not deteriorate.
- You can only enjoy the trip.
- Even in extreme heat, a favorable atmosphere is preserved.
- Most of these films meet the requirements of regulatory documents. This means that with their further use there will be no problems with the traffic police.
- There are many material options available for sale. Among them, you can easily find the most suitable for the order.
- The cost of such films is optimal. They are not so cheap, but you can find solutions with a more attractive price.
- With minimal experience, it is possible to independently perform the application.
One of the drawbacks is the cost. If you have to pay 2-4 thousand rubles per linear meter, then several tens of thousands will be required to protect the entire car. Cheap products from unknown manufacturers from China are not taken into account. Its quality is very low, and the real benefit is minimal.
This implies another minus - the likelihood of spoiling an expensive film in the absence of experience with it. If you are not sure that you can cope with the application, then it is not worth the risk. It is better to pay specialists for the work than to get not the best result after an error or damage the material.
We can conclude that athermal film will be a good choice for car tinting. But you should select it carefully, study the parameters of light transmission so that there are no problems. It is better to give preference to materials from well-known manufacturers that can provide a quality guarantee.